2- (N-morpholine) ethanesulfonic acid monohydrate, commonly referred to as MES monohydrate, is a commonly used biochemical buffer widely used in fields such as molecular biology and cell biology. As an effective pH buffer, it has stable chemical properties and good biocompatibility. Below, we will provide a detailed introduction to the properties of MES monohydrate.
The properties of MES monohydrate
The molecular structure of MES monohydrate includes a morpholine ring, ethyl chain, and sulfonic acid group, with the molecular formula C6H15NO5S H2O, these structures endow MES monohydrate with a series of special properties. It can effectively adjust the pH value, has good buffering performance, is a white powder at room temperature, easily soluble in water, and its molecular structure has a low dissociation constant due to the sulfonic acid group, suitable for use in a wide pH range. At the same time, it is relatively stable under conventional storage conditions and not easy to decompose, which provides convenience for its application in biological experiments.
Synthesis of MES monohydrate
At present, the synthesis methods of MES monohydrate mainly include direct synthesis method and indirect synthesis method:
1. The direct synthesis method involves a substitution reaction between morpholine and corresponding sulfonyl chloride, followed by hydrolysis to obtain the target product.
2. The indirect synthesis method uses morpholine derivatives and corresponding sulfonates as raw materials to prepare MES monohydrate through esterification or amidation reactions.
Although these methods differ, they all involve key reaction steps such as substitution, hydrolysis, esterification, and amidation.
The application of MES monohydrate
MES monohydrate, as a pH buffer, has a wide range of applications in biochemical research and industrial production. In addition to serving as a pH buffer, MES monohydrate can also be used in the following fields:
1. Separation and purification: As an anionic buffer, MES buffer is suitable for cation exchange chromatography and hydroxyapatite chromatography. It can bind with cation exchange agents, control the pH value during the chromatography process, and aid in the separation and purification of target molecules. In addition, MES monohydrate can also be used in separation and purification technologies such as gel filtration chromatography, cellulose phosphate column chromatography and hydrophobic substance interaction chromatography.
2. Protein electrophoresis: MES monohydrate can be used in SDS-PAGE (sodium dodecyl sulfate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis). In protein electrophoresis, MES monohydrate can serve as a pH buffer to maintain the stability of protein samples and aid in protein separation and identification.
3. Fluorescence microscopy: MES monohydrate is suitable for use in fluorescence microscopy technology. In fluorescence microscopy experiments, MES monohydrate can serve as a pH buffer to maintain the stability of the sample's pH, thereby better observing the signal of fluorescent markers.
4. Non coordinated buffer in metal ion solutions: MES monohydrate is suitable as a non coordinated buffer in metal ion solutions. It can form stable complexes with metal ions, control the pH value in the solution, and help stabilize and separate metal ions.
5. Research on redox process: MES monohydrate is particularly suitable for studying redox processes due to its non formation of free radicals. In experiments involving redox reactions, MES monohydrate can provide a stable pH environment, which helps control the reaction process and product generation.
6. Cell culture medium preparation: Due to the fact that MES monohydrate is not metabolized by bacteria and eukaryotic cells, it is widely used in the preparation of culture media. MES monohydrate plays a crucial role in the preparation of low concentration plant cell culture media and mammalian cell culture media, providing a suitable pH growth environment for cells and promoting their growth and reproduction.
7. Toxic research: MES monohydrate is suitable for most toxin research because it can effectively regulate pH and maintain acid-base balance in the experimental system. In the study of the interaction between toxins and target cells, MES monohydrate helps to simulate the real physiological environment and improve the accuracy and reliability of experiments.
8. Enhanced protein stability: The interaction between MES monohydrate and the peptide skeleton of bovine serum albumin can enhance the stability of proteins. This characteristic makes MES monohydrate a valuable additive in the production and storage process of protein drugs, helping to improve the stability and shelf life of protein drugs.
MES monohydrate, as an important buffering agent, has been widely used in the field of biology. Its stable chemical properties and moderate pKa value make it an ideal buffer choice under many experimental conditions. As a manufacturer of biological buffering agents, Desheng can supply MES monohydrate raw materials, which are not only cheap but also stable in supply. The company strictly controls quality and provides one-on-one guidance for use. If you have any relevant intentions, please feel free to click on the website for more information!